PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-TEK 65 with GPSS and Garmin GNS 430 WAAS
Old 16th Oct 2011, 04:26
Radiocommander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-TEK 65 with GPSS and Garmin GNS 430 WAAS

I recently installed this configuration in my aircraft. I am seeking anyone familiar with this autopilot and GPS combo. Any input would be appreciated.

The avionics shop that did the install told me on GPS and LPV approaches I need to select "GPSS" on the Annunciator selector and "HDG" on the Autopilot controller. naturally I may use my altitude pre-select as necessary and Altitude controller as needed. The system works well with the turns to way points and the GPSS is anticipating the turns as it should. Where I am having an issue is on the final approach inbound. I was told that once established on the approach and still under the Glide Slope bars on my HSI I am to switch from the "HDG" mode to the "Nav" mode on the autopilot controller. Trouble is it does not capture the glide slope and continues flying the approach at the final approach fix altitude.
Am I missing something? I shot an approach 5 times today, and it captured the GS only once. Frankly, I don't know what I did differently the time it worked right, but at least I know it can work!
Any insight to the approach procedures using a GPS WAAS with an S-TEC 65 with GPSS would be appreciated. There are NO instructions for this combo either in the S-Tek Pilot operating handbook, the Garmin GNS 430WASS books, or anywhere on S-TEK's website or the internet that I can find.
Thanks!