PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying over square
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2011, 03:41
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darling trent

Allowing a cooling down period for the turbo is a maintenance procedure that should be universally practiced. When taxiing in, allow the engine an additional two minutes of idle time before going to ICO.
What a wonderfully written piece of advice this is... An additional 2 mintues to the taxi time. HOW long was the taxi time? is it 5 minutes? 2 minutes?

Lets see. YCEM rwy 17. 3 minutes to taxi to parking + 2 minutes 'cool down' yep that works.

YCEM rwy 35. 30 seconds to taxi to parking +2 minutes 'cool down' I can see how well that fits into rayjay's explanation

YMMB rwy 13. about 8 minutes to taxi back....do you really need the extra 2 minutes?

This simple practice will prevent any oil residue from coking in the hot turbine housing and will prolong the life of the turbo.
What oil residue? ah you mean the oil that is getting past the oil rings and being blown into the turbo via the exhaust. hmm So we are worried about that sticking to the gizzards. Well in that case we are better off having the turbo hot as hell so it can burn off. The longer we run the thing at low power, the more 'residue' can enter the gizards, and being cool, it is going to stick.

Sitting between the hairdryers as you do, you'd be more aware than us mere plebs on how fast temperatures stabilise. Once stabilised, it ain't going to get any cooler running it for an extra 2 minutes or full hour.

You miss the whole fact, that I am not saying immediate shut down is acceptable. I am saying that after a reasonable taxi time, the turbo WILL be cool enough for shutdown upon parking. I.e ycem's rwy 35 would see me run the engine for probably 2 minutes before shutdown because I thought about it.

Jas