PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 15th Oct 2011, 20:43
tubby linton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My two pennorth worth-. The Airbus Efis layout on their FBW aircraft can be cluttered in comparison to a traditional aircraft.All the info is there on one screen and it is up to the weak link(the pilot ) to unpick it. I do not believe a tape altimeter stands out as well as a needle and a drum altimeter as they unwind rapidly. Imagine a needle unwinding rapidly and how easy that is to interpret. The VSI also on the EFIs is very small .i noticed that my scan when I flew 320/330 was very poor as you basically were looking at one screen . Contrast that with having to scan individual instruments and process what they were telling you. You probably spend a few microseconds longer doing this but that extra time can trigger something that tells you something is wrong. With an older aircraft I have a healthy disrespect about what it is telling me and i qualify this by looking at pitch power and performance. When I convert to a new type I always look at the unreliable airspeed checklist to learn the pitch and power combinations that work. i do my best to fly by these and no matter the complexity or sophistication of the aircraft they can all turn back into a basic aircraft with in this case was a very simple failure.(blocked pitots).
I have had the same failure in a non fbw airbus but it was flyable as we hand fly it a lot,we don't trust it ,and we flew pitch and power. The 330 shouts stall at you in a loud masculine voice and whenever i heard it in The sim my arm always wanted to push the nose down so why didn't this trigger a similar response?