PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pretty sure I saw a laser on approach to BHX
Old 15th Oct 2011, 20:36
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 426 Likes on 225 Posts
It's an ongoing problem at a number of UK airports. I was required to make a statement earlier this year after being lasered whilst being held outside of the zone.

The best hope is that a police helicopter gets the laser on it's camera. The laser can then often be traced, even to an individual house window. The nearest mobile unit is then sent to knock on the door and do the necessary.

I've been personally involved on two or three occasions where culprits were apprehended after laser targetting us on a night job.

We did also catch some idiots targetting us with high powered searchlights on the approach to the police base. All on camera. Another chap even came round from the back of his house to the front after I deliberately moved away from his searchlight, putting the roof of his house in between us and himself. He claimed he was searching for lost car keys (obviously suspected an owl had flown off with them). He was prosecuted on the video evidence of his torch beam following us around the sky and good footage of himself standing outside his own house and reappearing to follow us after we changed position.