PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC3 TALES
Thread: DC3 TALES
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2011, 15:07
mustafagander

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah Chimbu,

How the memories flood back about Isle Maurice. Now, the hotel was Le Chaland and it was on Grande Bay and yes, the ride home from Curepipe with a suitable "lubricated" driver in a rented Morris 1100 was the stuff of nightmares when you sobered up. Calling into the Chinese store on the way in from PER for more beer was a no-brainer, the deposit on the beer bottles was expensive! I can't remember the brand but I'll bet it wasn't Tiger. There were usually 4 computers on a B707, we had one each about 7" in diameter.

I was a mere youf of a F/E and spent plenty of time on the run to SA via MRU. Speaking French was a distinct advantage. I used to keep the ski boat running for a couple of years but it was really dangerous with all the coral about. Having good mates based there as engineers meant that I could borrow a toolbox to get the boat sorted.

Flying with the Navs was an eye-opener. Most of them were very lightly connected to reality! Bob S and his sea serpents, the Digger and his cheap bars world wide, Lofty B, Dave-the-right-size, Racehorse Brown, the list goes on!! The laws of libel forbid further names!!

There's a very good chance I flew to MRU with your dad at least once. Damn, I loved the place because the locals were very friendly and it was such a laid back trip.