PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 15th Oct 2011, 13:58
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the learned (and others) discuisions about stalls, deep or otherwise, the point has been missed that when the airspeed became unreliable, the PF seems to have started at once to hold the stick back.
Until the event started, everything was normal: the aircraft was in trim, straight and level, and all was calm. Perhaps too calm for a relatively inexperienced, but no doubt keen to prove himself, young man, who may even been in a slight doze - not an unusual thing to happen, as I well remember from experience (thank goodness for an alert navigator who was always pernickety about heading).
Where calm analysis was needed, the PF started to thrash the stick about ("stirring the mayonnaise"), having probably never heard the adage (or its French equivalent) "Don't just do something, sit there", not forgetting the rider "but not for too long". Precipate actions started the whole sorry chain of events going.
From experience again, it's very, very hard when friends and "mates" foul up, and on occasions I had to protest strongly when an Inquiry seemed to be about to jump to conclusions, because drawing the right conclusions is the only way for lessons to be learned.
That's why I trust the BEA and its thorough methodology to "get it right" and why I haven't posted on this thread before (and for the last time).