PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 15th Oct 2011, 13:46
PuraVidaTransport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love all the stories we keep hearing of a 'deep' stall and the notion that AF447 was being held in the stall by the THS and elevators. People, get this out of your heads.

Please go look at report #3 and the traces. At about 2:11:45, N1 was greatly reduced and the nose fell through with the pitch angle falling from 15 degrees nose up to 10 degrees nose down in about 10 seconds. The THS was at max nose up and the PF had full back stick yet the nose still fell through. Also notice, the airspeeds became valid and the stall warning sounded. The aircraft gained sufficient speed and the PF inputs and THS raised the nose ten degrees to a pitch of 0. However, as speed fell off, the nose again fell to 10 degrees nose down. Recovery at this point was not only possible but easily accomplished IF the pilots had recognized the REAL problem.

If you doubt this, look later in the flight at 2:14:10 when N1 was again reduced with the THS in full nose up and BOTH pilots pulling back on the sidestick. Again, the nose fell through from almost 20 degrees up to 5 down. Granted, by this time recovery was not possible.

If it was the THS and pilot inputs holding the nose up, please show me the proof. And all these stories of 'deep stall' and losing elevator authority etc... Please give me a link not just the story because looking at the AF447 traces, appears to me all you have to do to reduce pitch angle is reduce N1.

In addition, commercial aircraft must have positive longitudinal stability which means the nose is going to fall through no matter what the flight controls are trying to do at a certain speed/angle of attack as long as the center of gravity is within the prescribed limits. However, with the power of the engines today and being under-wing, with full N1, you can get a situation like we see in AF447.