PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where has it all gone wrong?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2011, 07:21
73addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andrew7

Hi

Let me give you some, hopefully, positive news. While most companies are at it and are actively trying to reduce our T and C's, this is down to economics and we as a group are letting it happen. For example the Ryan outfit. As a group their pilots have never, as far as I know, joined forces as a whole and made a stand against their management. I am sure that if you were the boss you would do the same, you would be silly not to. Whatever you think about the head man he is certainly a clever businessman.

I have flown in the charter world for five years and through the recent recession have been forced to change companies a few times. Each change was to another carrier where the T and C's were worse than before. However I knew it was a job in a rough time and was not for good. The light at the end of the tunnel for me was the opportunity to fly for a legacy carrier and while there are those that complain about their T and C's they are significantly better than any I have ever experienced in my short career. I feel comfortable, happy and have a roster and work schedule which means I can enjoy my family life and plan a life. I have never enjoyed flying more than I do now.

I suppose all I want to say to you is use your position and the company you are currently in to your advantage. Use them as a means to an end. Build your hours, your experience and when the time is right move on to a company that suits you and will make you happy. They do exist, but remember what suits one doesn't suit everyone so you will always encounter the negative. There are many here who have been flying for a lot longer than I and have much more experience of companies, aircraft and lifestyles. As I did take on all the advice given with a pinch of salt and make your own decision. Don't be a cynic be an optimist!