PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One for the UK based pilots...
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2011, 15:46
Sussex Kestrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know how terrorist organisations would exploit a potential relaxing of flight crew scanning. If you're suggesting using a crew member as a 'host' for carrying a suspect package then the effort and associated risk to a terrorist of being caught is far too high. How about catering? Take a look at any catering vehicle accessing an airside zone of any airport- if the catering truck came under the same scrutiny as a member of flight crew then said truck would be impounded at security for hours whilst checks were undertaken. Surely that would be a better 'host' for a terrorist to use. Security at any catering depot or warehouse i'm not for one moment suggesting is poor. Not for me to comment.

As a crew member I willingly walk through the scanner, place my bag on the x-ray belt, show my I.D, converse with security in a pleasant and polite manner- only to then have my shoes removed, my bag pulled apart, my headset swob tested and the inside of my belt checked. A full 'rubdown' on occasions puts the cherry on the cake. Why? Because it fits with the standard routine of checking passengers. We, as flight crew, are part of the herd. To have a different set of rules for us would show that the powers above have a set of balls, can handle different elements of security screening and are open to practical, common sense security- security that won't be exploited.

Security for flight crew needs to be pragmatic- bag x-rayed, I.D checked, I am who my I.D states I am. The powers that be don't want to embrace the fact that we, as flight crew, can be a huge part of maintaining a high standard of security.

Don't get me started on high vis jackets being undone.......