PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffery Thomas...again
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2011, 15:17
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hate him or not, he is getting the hottest prime time TV morning coverage to state his case against you to literally millions of the travelling public, meanwhile, you guys keep banging on across a couple of industry specific, union generated anti qantas threads on the DG section of PPRuNe which attracts a couple hundered views from semi intersted web surfers.

I know who is getting more PR leverage on this issue .....and its not your side!
This is the crux of our problem. Management get into the media first and cry wolf about the rogue unions hell-bent on damaging the "brand" and how the company has to ground already ageing 737 and a 767 due to the ongoing disputes. They failed to mention that these aircraft were going to be put out to pasture and being replaced by newer aircraft.

Also, it didn't help when the Fed Sec of the ALAEA states that passengers should fly other airlines during the next few months due to the ongoing disputes earlier this week. That statement alone got the most airplay on whinge back radio and didn't appear to help our cause any.

Hopefully, the AGM on October 28 gets a lot of the laundry aired and a few facts exposed about what is really going on within QANTAS. The intentional dismantling of the company bit by bit. This started back in 2005 with the shutting down of Heavy Maintenance in Sydney, and continued with the handing back of foreign operator contracts that were handled at S.I.T. These contracts were not lost due to our "high operational costs" but were abruptly ended and the "customers" told where to go and how to get there. Today S.I.T. Engineering only handles QF aircraft and are arms and legs for a couple of other airlines. Not even Jet* is handled.

The same thing is happening in Heavy Maintenance, Melbourne. Contracts have been signed with China to maintain the 738's. When the last of the 734's leave the company, so will the maintenance and many jobs. Just as they did in Sydney all those years ago.

These are sad times we live in. Not only for QF's sake, but for this country. People of all trades just want to work in a secure environment and be paid to be able to afford to live a reasonable lifestyle. I am tired of being told that we have to "move forward" and "that times have changed". In order to move forward, we have to go back a number of years to get sanity back into the workforce. Times haven't changed. People have, and it's the minority dictating to the majority that actually make a company work. Without the Pilots, Engineers, Check-in, Catering, Cabin Crew, Cleaning, Tech Records and the long list of employees that slog it out everyday to make the company run, the minority management wouldn't be able to pocket "their" bonuses off the backs of the workers.

Another thing to think about is this. AJ has stated that the International part of the business lost $200million. I find it baffling to say the least, that $250million is being spent to "upgrade" the 747 fleet to A380 status and the international sectors are slowly being stripped away to allow for the expansion of Jet*. Work that one out.