PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Saudi/Kuwait payscales
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2002, 22:23
Roger_Ovair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Some thoughts on Saudi

It wasn't all bad out there. But I can say that 'cos I'm home now. The locals can be unbelievably friendly, or unbelievably rude. The thing that always made me laugh was the lack of enthusiasm for flying from any of them. Still it was their culture...

The thing about the different pay scales for Brits and Aussies was always an ugly issue. Apparently, it was all to do with where you were recruited (BAE UK or BAE Aus) and not on your own nationality. That's why the Canadians had the same pay rates as Brits.

BAE managment in KSA made you cringe they were so amateur, and whoever gave you the advice not to believe anything until it was in writing was almost spot on. He should have said: "never believe anything BAE says.....or writes". They were famous for moving the goalposts.

My whole family enjoyed life in Saudi. The money was amazing, the housing and utilities were free. Driving into the desert or along the coast with mates at weekends for parties was great. The ability to go on holiday to the best hotels in the most amazing places was great. It won't get saudised overnight, and the flying jobs will be the last to go. Simulators first as they involve a lot less danger, application or effort.

If you have a chance, give it a go. Every day I walk into my house I thank King Fahd for paying for it...in cash. Think about that. Queen Elizabeth didn't do that and I had spent a lot longer working for her.