PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standards of Staff Providing Training
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2002, 20:55
bealine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenia - please don't confuse the training of CAA Licenced personnel - I'm referring to Aviation Ground Staff and support personnel!

At LGW, ALL of the US carriers believe in "Dumping" new employees straight on to check in desks to "shadow" for a few hours and then get straight into "Live" check in!

However, even 12 years flying experience does not provide a "training" qualiification - indeed many cabin crew members and check in agents do not possess sufficient patience and empathy with the "new hire" to train effectively. Indeed, my wife's experience with Dan-Air showed some of the comments made by "on-line" trainers there would have caused Dan-Air to be sued heavily if they hadn't gone to the wall! Without being taught how to train, how does the trainer recognise whether the student has registered what has been learnt - I know my British Airways trainers just "barked out" what was printed in their bulky manuals!!!

To this day, the check-in trainers are unqualified, apart from a few years experience as check-in agents. How many new people lose heart, or are fired, in the first few weeks because of a bad trainer??? No one knows ........ or cares!