PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Elevated Helipads
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2002, 20:43
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QMAX,
You're obviously not familiar with offshore towering take-offs. Yes, I'd have had a lot of problems as the immediate sink whilst I was trying to accelerate forward would undoubtedly resulted in my striking the deck edge with my tail and pitching nose forward into the sea before 'accelerating to an efficient translational lift state'.
All of these certificated vertical and rearward take-off profiles have considerable restrictions on the permitted take-off weight to allow for the performance deterioration whilst flying them and are intended for the many times in helicopters where space considerations do not permit acceleration with a safe single engine reject before CDP using ICAO Class One performance criteria (or Group A/Category A or whatever one is using) to ensure that it is possible to reject on to an area where a landing may be made without damage to the aircraft, its occupants or third parties.
Just because there may have been no recorded instances of an engine failure when these profiles are being flown does not mean there never will - Mr Murphy will always be around to guarantee that.
I think you are suffering from the Australian ostrich disease and burying your head in the sand when confronted with things with which you either do not agree or do not understand.