PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham Airport near miss caused by radio mix-up
Old 13th Oct 2011, 13:08
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace at Brum the Q was holding where you would normally start your roll from. Its a displaced threshold due to terrain clearance on approach.

15 can be a bit of a sod as well if they keep you high especially from the north.

And it can be pretty bumpy below 1000ft.

As for the tower its way down the other end with a none restricted GA apron right infront of it which is pretty well lit. I would have though with reduced viz and looking where you were landing you wouldn't see the tower. It would appear to be a hangar structure off on the right next to an apron.

As for not seeing the Q. Well I have similar when they have a light bit of concrete leading into black tarmac. You can't see the aircraft on it even if its CAVOK and you know its sitting there. The aircraft lights are low intensity and the runway lights on 15 are the high intensity CAT II lights.

And this whole business of swapping from the planned approach onto the ILS to an NDB is always fraught with potential for cockup. As a commercial crew you wouldn't be condemned for asking for delaying tactics so you could re-brief.

Lets face it he was just aviating

He had his finger tips on the elevator navigating.

And communicating was just a bit to much.

In someways this out come of landing over the top might be the most safe for all concerned. Because looking at the flight profile I suspect a go-around might have ended with an even worse situation developing.