PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2011, 10:38
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody using Ipad SSL VPN with RDP?

I am looking at a Sonicwall TZ100 router which does SSL VPN too.

This is to replace some Draytek 2900 routers which do PPTP VPN only.

Sonicwall do not reply to questions, except via their forum and the access to that is done using a product serial number

Their FAQ says

>Overview / Scenario:
>
>User will connect to the SonicWALL SSL-VPN portal from IPad and tries to launch bookmarks like RDP, VNC, fileshare, Citrix...etc, but will fail to connect. Generally, all MAC Desktops or Laptops use Java as they do not provision ActiveX component on their browsers. In this case of IPad, Apple does not support Java and hence we get an error while trying to access any of the services which is mentioned above. The access will be limited only to URL resources.
>
>Again, please do note that Apple DOES NOT provision Java on IPad and since there is no alternative, we will not be able to launch the above-mentioned services.
>
>Workaround/Resolution: Not Available as Apple does not support Java on IPad.

I do not understand what that means.

At the simplest, a VPN gives you (at the client) a network connection (an IP).

Applications like RDP (I am interested only in RDP, or also PC/Anywhere if the client is a windoze XP laptop) just connect to that IP.

What does lack of Java got to do with that?

If one could not use RDP with the Ipad SSL VPN, what is the point of products like this (being an IOS developer they do not do much replying either ).

If the Ipad SSL VPN does not provide a straight "local network" IP, then almost nothing will be able to use it.