PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham Airport near miss caused by radio mix-up
Old 13th Oct 2011, 10:35
Daysleeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just looked up the ILS 15 for EGBB and wonder if the AAIB report page 2 (shown as page "54" in the PDF, curiously) has a mistake on it. The plate does not suggest the ILS or NDB is offset, but the AAIB diagram shows a ~ 5 degree offset. The Jepp plate shows both the ILS/NDB 15 and the runway 15 to be 148 degrees.
The NDB ILS DME is not the same as an NDB DME, an easy mistake to make with the way plates are named... for Brum

Jepps plate 11-1 is the NDB to the ILS with DME for Runway 15, thus the NDB gets you to the ILS which is the final approach aid, inbound course 149

Jepps plate 16-1 is the NDB with DME for Runway 15, thus the NDB is the final approach aid, inbound course 154

the Runway is 149.

I accept my plates may be out of date so a 1 degree change to 148 may exist now.

every modern pilot flies NDB approaches using the GPS, either using an overlay or using the OBS mode
Does the G1000 approach database include the NDB approach at Brum? Had a play with a Garmin sim the other day that only had the ILS...