PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 13th Oct 2011, 10:31
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brian 48nav, so, 1972, that would have been adjacent to my story of the nav who was duffed up and then got his revenge. Can you verify?

TTN
Over in the States, for example, it would all be first name terms. Also, with the crew possibly sharing 3 hotel rooms, one guy would share with the crew chief and no-one thought this was a problem.

Back home, down on the flight line we would revert to "sir" and "chief" once again without any problem or resentment.
I bet it was the AEO that doubled up with the CC. Doubling up was sensible as it freed up a whole lot of drinking tickets.

Don't know the period but I guess you referred to Mk1s. Later, on 8, in the 80s some called the CC at home by name rather than Chief probably because Shack crew chiefs were sgts and not chiefs. The OC at the time issued an edict (he was always issuing edict which, as a consequence were largely ignored) that we were to call them sgt, cpl or whatever. We asked one chief what he preferred, Chief or Ben? He said if you use my name it shows you know me. If you use my rank you either have good eyesight or are guessing.

And down route? Quite the norm for a flt lt to serve a full fry breakfast to all the SLF lounging about the floor of the dreaded beast.