PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ear-popping and air sickness
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2002, 18:59
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just make sure you don't have a cold when you fly.
Reason 1 is:
As you climb (assuming that your sinuses are blocked) the pressure will try to equalize. During the climb this might be noticed by some ever so slight popping between the eyes or somewhere in that region. After a while the pressure is the same both outside and inside your sinuses. However, soon you decide to descend and the pressures try to equalize once again. BUT: the gunge and suff blocking the sinus cavity works like a one-way valve. At this point you risk drawing up this gunge up into the sinuses. And as I was told during my HF class, the sinuses have no natural way of draining themselves! One pilot that I know of sufferes from chronich infection in his sinuses and it is apparantly not pleasant!
Reason 2 is:
A cold usually implies a swollen throat. With this comes a swelling of the eustachian tube which acts as an pressure equalizing valve for the middle ear. If this is swollen to the point where no air can pass from one end to the other you better stay on ground. This is not allways easy to asses but try to use your common sense! If you feel your ears pop while you fly this is a sign that your eustachian tube is in some degree blocked. Sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't.

Common to these two above described factors is that the effects usually show upon descent. Tell tale signs may appear during climb but the pain adds on during descent. The only way to make things better is to decrease ROD and perhaps do the descent in steps to let the pressures equalize in peace and quite.

Another thing to keep in mind is the altitude. If you fly the traffic circuit for example your altitude will be around 500 to 1000 ft and this is usually sustainable with a slight cold but with a heavy cold you're better off on ground.

So basically, unless you've got a chronic cold, the symptoms you described should be "one off".

Best regards/lns