PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The simulator instructor - How essential is real flying hours on type?
Old 13th Oct 2011, 08:03
Gulfstreamaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hueyracer, a little bland response

I am biased, (thats an honest admission).....

I work in a simulator environment as well as a line pilot, on as you might guess Gulfstreams.

A major problem that I see on initials, is that the instructor will teach a procedure by the book. The procedure is perfectly valid.

The simulator is a very good tool but does sometimes lack certain fine tuning, thus the student can fly the sim and needs time on the real aircraft.

The benefit of an instructor, or mentor when in the sim, is that these points are covered, whilst not experienced have been discussed.

With ZERO time conversions, or 3 to/landing conversion many of the real aircraft variations are not covered.

In my current sim environment some instructors are very experienced on type, , and compare to 737/200. !!!!! some never seen a Gulfstream, and always compare to 737/200. !!!!! just do a sim recurrent, never having flown the real thing.
The best G550 instructor had never flown the type except for 3hrs in jump seat, in over 2 years. He was a good instructor, with vast corporate experience.
The G450 is being instructed as a type, on a G550 sim, both the ground and sim instructors have never see a G450.....