PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2011, 05:21
xmh53wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also notice in the slo-mo vid that the TT virtually vanishes for an instant before its inboard mount breaks away and then trails the elevator before departing the A/C. Please excuse my ignorance, but are the TTs cable operated, and if so how do they operate with one actuating tab above and one below the elevator surface? Does that mean when one is being pulled on the other is being pushed by the cables (in normal operation)? Also that dent over the number one, is evident in the build photos from 2009, I think its just a characteristic of the modification done to GGs spine.
...2009 Build photos
WarbirdAeroPress.com
....2009 Run-up/ck flt
WarbirdAeroPress.com

I am certainly not questioning the maintainers or the maintenance on this airplane but.......3 of what appear to be 1/4 bolts that attach the inboard elevator hub to its bellcrank? I dont know but seems mighty fragile if one were to consider the torsional stresses placed by pinning one of the TTs stationary. I personally am seeing the logic in the thought that a disconnect between the two elevators may have been the initial failure. Can somebody explain the twitch of GG in the video after passing Rare Bear (approx 7 min into the vid with GG above and in front of RB) (possibly rounding home or #1 pylon)?

Just some interesting info:
Tech INFO - Aircorps Aviation