PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Helicopters Ltd
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2011, 21:39
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
The guys at Irish Helicopters said they thought she had shed a main blade, but other sources including the Griffin Helicopter accident database listed it as main gearbox failure.
It was neither - it was a sheared bolt in the swashplate rotating drive link that resulted in one of the blades losing pitch control. The vibration was so severe that the tail boom detached and the MGB tore itself from its mounting bolts and remained attached by the lift link - though somewhat free to move around.

Sadly I learned the she crashed in a river delta there , in 1998 I think . All hands lost
They fell into the river near Onni Port, with no control at all. There were survivors (5 I think) but I think 6 died including the RHS pilot. The pilot in the LHS (who was actually a pax, but on a management visit) survived and is on these forums. He described the descent as like being in free-fall and remarked that he found it surreal to watch bits of the aircraft fall past him on the way down (such as the exhausts!)

I won't describe the cause of the bolt failure, but it was gross negligence that probably warranted a manslaughter charge!