PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2011, 19:02
Dutchly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I remember the Green Gilberts but that's about it. Think Keith Holland led them. Probably 1977.
Hi all. Not sure if the old man led it but he was definitely in a team who displayed for the Queens Silver Jubilee at Finningley. I remember being allowed to watch the full dress rehearsal. I think he got an AFC for this. Pete Squire (future CAS) was also in the team I believe. Lots of practices from Feb '77 until the display on 29 Jul '77.

You are right Shy - he was a top bloke.

Were not some thinly disguised similarities to his crash (ie, boss distracted with Admin triv) used in a Flight safety fillum a bit later on??
I always hear he was a nice man..and funny. I wish I had been able to get to know him properly. He is still missed.

His accident was indeed a case study on the Flying Authorisers Course. I couldn't hide a small grin when JP announced we would be studying a Harrier Sqn Boss' accident during the week. I was sat next to an older Harrier Sqn Ldr who had been told he had to attend the course. After the welcome he sidled over to JP and whispered something in his ear. We never did do the case study although I would have been fine about it. I've read the accident report and it is sobering but nothing can be changed now. I'm just pleased that he was, by most accounts, a popular and witty pilot (rare for Harrier pilots, I know ). Cheers to all who knew him.