PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 12th Oct 2011, 15:41
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Class Consciousness +

"Way back when" my brother-in-law, a young industrial chemist on his way to fame and fortune accepted a middle management post with a brewery in Norfolk. This was a new thing for the company, as they had never had a chemist of any kind in all their history. On his first day, my b-in-l was invited to select his company car from a list he was shown. "I'd like the Rover", he said, all smiles "Oh no" came the reply, Rovers are for Directors" (I did say it was a long time ago). "Ok then, I'll take the Triumph saloon". "Sorry, but 6-cylinder cars are for Senior Managers".
He was allowed to choose a Standard Vanguard, a choice accepted by Personnel rather grudgingly as his was a new staff position and there was no precedent "But it's a bit big for Middle Managers, you know".

Compared with that, I found the RAF very un-class-conscious ...

Years later, after leaving the Service, I was surprised to find that De H's at Hatfield had no less than 5 Dining Rooms, called "Messes", all segregated into sections for tradesmen, middle and senior management.
I gather that that was all changed in an early effort to cut down expenses.
Working in Germany some years afterwards for an AEG subsidiary, all workers, including the MD, ate in the same dining hall, which only seemed sensible, for at least most of us knew what everybody looked like.