PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Regulators and Investigators always be Separate and Independent of Operators?
Old 12th Oct 2011, 08:56
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
flh, I don't think that an international Regulatory willy waving contest is going to get us very far. Let us all agree that our own Authority leaves many things to be desired and that they all have shortcomings and need to pull their socks up!
Having said that, I doubt if many of them have conspired to suborn their own regulations such that the very thing that they are there to prevent, ie unairworthy aircraft being allowed to fly, knowingly happens. Nor do I imagine that the subsequent air accidents are deliberately "managed" by the same Authority so that the truth of why these crashes happened is suppressed. The first may happen inadvertently, ie a seemingly airworthy aircraft turns out to be not so (the Comet 1 comes to mind). The second may happen in a mistaken effort to protect an important national employer (lots of examples here I'm sure but I don't intend to start off another tit-for-tat tirade!). The really dangerous scenario is where the Regulatory Authority has knowingly released unairworthy aircraft into service and then just as knowingly ensured that fact is suppressed in subsequent Accident Investigations. That recklessness is then compounded because in suborning its own Regulations for so long, that Authority has lost the ability to restore airworthiness to its fleets even if it wants to. That is the dire straight that UK Military Airworthiness now finds itself in. That is the difference between UK Military and Civil Aviation!