PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 11th Oct 2011, 23:05
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Whilst increasingly bemused at some of the tales that have emerged in this thread, I have been thus far been disinclined to enter the fray on what seems to be a substantially light blue phenomenon, and one that certainly bears no resemblance to anything I have ever experienced whilst serving either ashore or afloat in two navies, I really have to take issue with the words underlined in the following quotation:

It wasn't until 1993 that the WRNS became part of the Royal Navy. Before that they were effectively treated as civilians even though they could be in thick of the action. - Fareastdriver

Quite apart from the fact that, in its original form, the Women's Royal Naval Service was formed earlier than the Royal Air Force, never mind becoming part of the Royal Navy in 1993, I truly cannot believe that any Wren officer or rating, and certainly not one with whom I served, or commanded, would remotely have considered herself as either a civilian, or would have believed that anyone else considered herself as such.

In conclusion, I can't find a more appropriate comment than that made by SFFP just above (and which I hope he won't me repeating), "What a complete load of absolute bolleaux, so far away from actuality to be total and utter dinosaur tosh."

Now leaning back and looking forward to more ripping yarns of stripes on handbags .....

Jack