PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First trial lesson
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 18:05
B2N2

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
This sounds pretty much like the trial lesson I gave this morning.
I was planning on having the preflight finished by the time the customer showed up but he was early so he tagged along on the preflight.
At this stage in the game it doesn't really pay off to do a very elaborate lenghthy (45+min) instructional preflight. I can't assume you have any idea what I'm talking about except for the very basic.
We went back inside for the WX brief which I briefly explained and I did a quick feet=rudder=yaw and hands=aileron/elevator=pitch/roll.
I briefed on exchange of flight controls and that was it. Safety brief and go.
He got the controls at 1500' and flew for the next 45 min, more or less straight and level doing turns solely on outside reference (see the town? Fly me to it please, follow the road etc etc)
I kept quiet for at least half the time to let him enjoy the scenery (100+ miles vis) and not overload him.
Took the controls again below 1500' and landed, taxied to the apron.
Signed up on the spot and will start in two weeks.
A trial lesson is a bit of a misnomer as it's more a introduction flight then a first lesson.
In my neck of the woods you would do an intro-flight then 4-5 hrs of ground school before you fly your first "real" lesson so you at least know what your instructor is talking about and you are not completely overwhelmed in the aircraft.