PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 17:54
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the right elevator may have failed at its mount to the bellcrank before the tab failed. If it retreated upward, this leaves the left elevator to command the current NOSE DOWN. It cannot, on its own, so it loses the trim tab, and both elevators migrate to emphatic NOSE UP, though asymmetrically. I'd like to be able to say Jimmy immediately pushed and rolled right, but I think he was already incapacitated. I think with maximum tail section deflection down, and twisted port down, the a/c violently reacted, and pitched back on its own to ND and level, carrying right aileron throughout the double fail. The tail section reverted to close to original alignment, but, carrying some NOSE UP bias, the a/c climbed, lost power, and ballistic roll, inversion, and power recovery followed.

It's hard to say. I am astonished with the violence of the Pitch Up with wings vertical, and believe this is the point of maximum airframe load.

The fact remains that NTSB have it all. All of it. They will have the real deal in time enough. Without risk, and bold experiment, life would not be full.

I'll be at RENO next year; maybe I'll get to meet up with Clipped Cub.