PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommendations for HD player, HD recorder, etc?
Old 11th Oct 2011, 15:51
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious, that...

I think there are blueray DVD players which are also HD recorders, which do Freeview (obviously, otherwise how do you record from TV), and which run Iplayer (though possibly not 4OD).

But it seems impossible to establish which of these will play which video formats off a CD or DVD, beyond the standard retail movie disks (old DVD and blue ray).

If one forgets the need to play home-written DVDs, is there a solution?

Skypilot - thank you, though the DMR-BWT800 doesn't appear to do Iplayer/4OD.

One can achieve Iplayer (not 4OD, due to Flash) playback to an HDMI TV by using an Ipad, with an aftermarket HDMI output adaptor (about £50). I have actually got that working, but the 11g wifi AP could not keep up. I had to buy an 11n AP (Draytek 800). There is no way to feed an Ipad via an ethernet connection.

Reportedly, new Ipad firmware will be able to stream Iplayer video to a wifi-equipped TV over wifi. That is pretty slick, though the Ipad's wifi radio is going to be somewhat stretched receiving the stuff over wifi and then transmitting the stuff to a TV over wifi, at the same time. Maybe it works on the lower quality Iplayer mode only. Unfortunately our TVs only video input (that I can see) is HDMI...

Last edited by IO540; 11th Oct 2011 at 16:01.