PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S-76D
Thread: S-76D
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 15:16
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Among rotorcraft there are few more handsome examples than the S76 - in fact only one in my view. Helicopters, in general, (to me) are fairly ugly contraptions but I do believe Sikorsky got it right in terms of exterior design aesthetics.

I am aware that it was only in the 'B' model that decent performance was to be realised and that this was at the expense of thirsty engines. I remember too the AS365 .. and was 'given a go' by a chap who I think was called David Sale. I had visited McAlpine's in the early 90's (perhaps 1990) to consider the Dauphin for a client and was handed over to David who at the time was flying with P&O. I actually didn't find it as smooth as the 76 but .. perhaps that ship was poorly tracked? Also, with a good load on board, the Dauphin made an unbelievable din when approaching at speed; not that the 76 was quiet mind you!

I do hope that Sikorsky 'get it right' with the 'D' model but .. my impression is that the VIP/Corporate requirements of the future are going to lean towards a 4 x 2 arrangement where either two seats (or a bench seat) are available behind the traditional club 4 - a little like the EC145 interior (below) but with more space and with the club 4 isolated from the rear 2-3 seats.

Regarding Dauphins (old and new) the crew at Starspeed certainly seem to like them.

EC145 Interior