PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Future Pilot Programme (FPP)(Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 14:56
Rhcriad Bsranon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swatson you swat!!!

Good Lord, Swatson my friend, you shouldn't have mentioned you had six 'A' levels on your application: as Roger's already suggested, they're gonna think you're as bonkers as me!!

Seriously, that's most commendable and (noting your age) I hope you don't think I'm condescending when I say that your parents should be proud! Well done, sir!

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that unless you say something totally barking during your interview like admitting that you're me when they ask you to say something shocking, then there are now only 399 vacancies left on the FPP.

In fact, the only problem I can foresee is BA wondering if they're going to be able to hang onto you with a sterling CV like that. No disrespect to any fliers reading this, but I'm sure even they'd agree that bussing a ship load of passengers round the Globe for the next 30 or 40 years isn't going to hold your attention for long (you obviously enjoy a challenge!) despite the promise of training or management. Don't you think you should be applying to NASA instead?

Incidentally, I hope you didn't feel the need to 'come out' in response to that diatribe of mine - the last one I mean - apart from a desire to retain the title of most bizarre post, I wrote it because in a previous existence, I HAD to drive a desk for a spell in recruitment and was surprised to read umpteen applications from undergraduates who were offering 2:1 degrees in core subjects such as Chemistry and Biology but couldn't include Physics or Maths at 'A' level on their educational C.V. which surprised me. Only average marks attained in both subjects at GCSE to boot! Most unusual. And if the stats are to be believed, a larger than anticipated proportion of applications from undergraduates offering top grades in these subjects would be of the fairer sex - perhaps you are yourself? Not that it matters, of course. Credit where credit's due.

Oh, and before I go - and I promise I will shutup after this - there will be the inevitable detractors out there thinking smug thoughts about 'A' levels etc. being easier than they used to be, no doubt from my age group or older. But let me tell you this boys and girls, what they forget to mention with their selective memorys is that in days of yore, you were only obliged to answer say five from a total of eight questions - instructions on the frontispiece of the exam paper bearing the legend: "no credit will be gained from answering surplus questions...." or words to that effect. Added to that, were the 'bankers' , questions that came up repetitively year in, year out and I've lost count of the number of tutors who admit to doing some last minute cramming the night before to find that, joy of joys, the very topic of that perfunctory exercise, appeared most fortuitously on that morning's paper!! They even used to give credit for drawing a diagram of a dodgey bunsen burner as part of the answer to a Chemistry question! Going further back, I believe, when 'A' levels were called something else, there wasn't even a time limit set in which to finish the paper. Last one out lock up!! Perhaps, the most useful weapon in the detractors armoury (and here I agree they have a point), is in the form of the term 'moderate' which is regularly, and unfairly I feel, bandied about. However, with clever chaps like you about, Swatson, it's seldom implemented. Lecture over. Good luck with your airline career!! Rhcriad.

Last edited by Rhcriad Bsranon; 11th Oct 2011 at 21:19.