PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 767 Max speed at sea level?
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 13:22
superrrnova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks again for your replies all. As I said, I'm not here trying to get under your skin. I'm just sick of hearing "this pilot thinks ....". That's why I have asked the question here.

North: "Do you realize that for all practical purposes there is no difference between sea level and 1,000' above sea level, or even, 2,000 above sea level for your question?"

Yes sir, sorry I didn't mean for that to sound so important. I just meant a low altitude in comparison to cruising altitude. I didn't need the car analogy. I have a grasp of what the maximum operating speed means, that speed which is safe to operate within. The question was more about the physical barriers hindering that speed at low altitude. Someone used a "moving your hand through water as opposed to through air" analogy to explain in a term easy enough for my little brain to describe what it would be like. I understand what you're saying though, I think they may have over-emphasized the drag effects at low altitude. Being as you'd bet a months wages I will take on board what you have said for sure though, North. Thank you for taking the time to explain a few area's that I'm unfamiliar with. I appreciate it