PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 07:01
alexd10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ #1190 Originally Posted by DozyWannabe

This is an educated guess rather than certain knowledge, but based on what I've learned on the subject of data analysis (which is actually part of my professional remit - lest CONF think otherwise) those negative peaks are at such regular intervals that I suspect that they are unreadable values rather than reflective of the actual setting, as I said here:

AF 447 Thread No. 6

Given that it looks like they've used Excel to generate the graphs for the interim report, I know that Excel's default graphing behaviour for unreadable values is to render them as the lowest possible value (in this case -5000).

Now, whether that value would be unreadable due to corruption of the memory chips from damage sustained, whether the memory chips were faulty in the first place, or whether there was a pre-existing fault on the FDR bus that meant that the value was incorrectly read is something I'm not qualified to speculate on.

Your theory seems a little bit forced . As can be seen on the graph the selected VS value drops ceased to occur at the start of the climb, so it’s improbable to be related to post flight memory damages or data corruption.

If indeed are generated by improper value of the data used for graph, the source it’s highly probable to be a soft/process related to the flight.

So, what can be , and relevant or not for a/c behavior?