PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 06:15
thcrozier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ailerons Frame 2 to 3

Frame 2 appears to me to show the ailerons commanding a right roll as well, but because the plane had moved some distance between 2 and 3, the camera angle, including a possible roll off vertical of the focal plane itself, might have occurred within that interval. Spherical aberration in the lens might also be coming into play. Therefore, I wouldn't bet a whole lot of money that the plane is really banked more steeply left in Frame 3 than it is in frame 2. I'd want to know much more about the camera and lens before opining on what frame intervals show. You might even need multiple angles to be sure; though telemetry could well render optics issues moot at the end of the investigation.

I agree that there appears to be significantly more downward force on the left side HS than on the right in Frame 2; so his initial roll rate to the right could have been slower than he expected. Was he really going for horizontal wings, which, if still conscious at the time, he would have known would send him straight over the crowd, or is it possibly over control or an unpredicted snap to the right that put him there?

Last edited by thcrozier; 11th Oct 2011 at 06:50. Reason: Typo