PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffery Thomas...again
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 06:14
600ft-lb

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I were a journalist and I was going to be commenting on particulars of an ongoing dispute.
1) I would take note of what party A says (They get paid $170,000 average)
2) I would take note of what party B says (No we don't)
3) I would conduct my own research http://www.fwa.gov.au/documents/agre...N085259566.pdf such as here for Qantas LAME EBA 8
4) Find it very hard to come to a conclusion that party A is telling the truth when even at the highest rate of pay, plus the highest shift penalties, the figure still doesn't come close to the "AVERAGE".
5) Realise that for $170,000 to be average, a small percentage people would be earning well over the average to to counteract the fact that the vast majority don't earn anything remotely resembling the average.
6) Refer to the Journalists Code of Ethics pertinent points as below.
4. Do not allow personal interest, or any belief, commitment, payment, gift or benefit, to undermine your accuracy, fairness or independence.
5. Disclose conflicts of interest that affect, or could be seen to affect, the accuracy, fairness or independence of your journalism. Do not improperly use a journalistic position for personal gain.
6. Do not allow advertising or other commercial considerations to undermine accuracy, fairness or independence.