PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of climb/rate of climb
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2011, 01:57
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KAG... This is really simple but obviously not obvious. If two words or sentences or phrases are spelt differently, they're NOT the same! A zoom climb is a zoom climb. Best angle of climb is best angle of climb. They should be discussed separately. Just like Vy and Vx both have a rate of climb and an angle of climb, so too does a zoom climb. And there are certain circumstances where one climb offers more performance than the others. That should be discussed, but it doesn't change the fact that they're different.

A bit less focus on the physics and more concern about the reality and actual use of best angle concerning the actual operation of an airplane might be necessary to avoid speaking about matter of very little use when facing an emergency or having to deal with acceleration/deceleration change of flight level in a busy airspace.
That statement is entirely irrelevant to what I've said. I never said that Vx should be used in all cases where you need to avoid an obstacle. I will say that if you're required to use a zoom climb to clear an obstacle without crashing then you're in a place you never should have been in. You should get a slap on the wrist for that.