PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First trial lesson
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 18:55
Grob Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Arut,
Fantastic that you have got started! Ref trial lesson. well, i'm not exactly normal in that because my trial flight was a good friend of mine taking me in the Chipmunk. He gave me a very thorough briefing, on the use of the parachute and how to get out of the back seat of a Chippy. He took off, but once we were about 2,000ft he gave me control, for most of teh trip. He showed me a couple of aerobatic manouvres, then gave me control to do the loop and aileron roll; then I had a couple of goes at landing at Wickenby before we recovered to base after about an hour.

However, my first poper lesson with my club. My instructor adn also that i ahd already been flying with a seriously experienced pilot and fully pre-flight briefed me, explained the cockpit and the cockpit checks and external checks, basically started to explain everything as he knew I wanted to learn!

As to solo, I didn't go solo until after 27 hours...so I agree with teh old campaigners on this forum, there are so many variables with flying...even I know that already! Your instructor will send you solo when tehy know you are ready....One flight is never the same as the next, but rest assured, if you get a good instructor and an good rapport with him or her as I have with mine, flying lessons will be fun, ask as many questions as you like, don't think they will think ill of you - thats their job...certainly mine perfers me to ask as many things as possible and always, at teh end of a debrief "any questions?" usually loads!! now he doesn't always preflught brief if we're just going up to do some circuits or steep turns, basiclly anything we have done before.

Oh yes, and just because you go solo, don't think you'll go solo every flight! I haven't!

So whichever club you choose, don't worry about what tehy do or don't do, just listen to your instructor; I know theres a lot to take in, but you'll get there, take it in teh stages that your instructor wants you to take it in...and don't expect perfection at once...

By the way, you did well to go flying at the weekend, Kentish airspace must ahev been a lolt calmer than Lincolnshire airspace!!

Good luck
GQ