PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First trial lesson
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 13:03
stevelup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't remember feeling disappointed after my first lesson. The briefing was 10-15 minutes long. Outside, we walked around the aircraft and looked at all the wobbly bits.

I had control for all the lesson apart from the takeoff + landing. I even did a steep turn!

Here's what I wrote at the time:-

Absolutely glorious day here. Clear blue skies and bright sunshine – chose a lucky day for sure!

Met up with Roly who did a brief run through of the controls using a model, then out to the aircraft which was a Robin R2100.

We had to wait a minute for a bizjet to move out of the way before we could begin taxiing. I steered during the taxi and Roly operated the brakes and throttle.

Lined up behind three others waiting for take off and we were airborne within five minutes. Followed the A417 down towards Swindon. There are a number of active gliding and parachute sites so it was necessary to avoid these.

The plan was to fly over my house in Swindon which would have taken us into Lyneham's zone so Roly got permission from them and they gave us a transponder code to squawk. I couldn’t cope with setting it and looking where I was going at the same time though as it was down by the left hand side of the seat!

When we reached the M4, I then managed to find my garden from the air which I was pleased about.

We then headed back up the A419 avoiding another parachute site. There were a few minutes to spare so I did a couple of gentle turns followed by a rather exhilarating 60 degree turn at 2G which put a smile on my face.

Dropping down to 1500 feet, we entered the circuit and landed half way down the runway to avoid an excessively long taxi.