PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Skydive 206 down at Tooradin
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 10:48
jas24zzk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys crack me up!! As soon as one person says fuel, everyone reckons that's the problem. How would it be low fuel if they climbed up but not allthe way due cloud, so they wouldn't of burn all intended fuel therefore would have excess remaining.
Ably responded to with..

We are not here to write the report. That is for the ATSB!

We are just chewing the fat over what might or might not have been.....or once may have been......This is PPRuNe
Quite correct Jaba,
i've seen this type of 'shut up' comment mentioned before. And I thought then as I do now, what is the difference between us discussing it here or at the local aero club/qaintarse caviar lounge???

I could think of only one difference...no aeroplanes within 100m. (do i hear muppetry??)

---------------------------------
BOT.

Not being familiar with the 206, discussion i had with someone was that he didn't have the selector on both. (is that an option on the 206..that one in particular??)
The other comment, is that particular 206 is cleared to fly with the doors removed, and part of that requirement is that the pilot is in a multi-point harness, and that many pilots cannot reach the fuel selector. (thoughts?)(btw, if you watch the interview with the spokesman, you will see the a/c doors leaning on the hangar wall behind him)

My own thought was that with the fuel level being so low (who knows how long he swanned around trying to drop) can the nose down position (not bad flying technique) uncover the pickups in a 206?? This guy may have made a straight in, and those big 6's being as thirsty as they are, i doubt you would have 60 seconds of fuel in the lines. maybe 20........(based on experience...a 351 cube cleveland with a 600 holley and 3/8th fuel line runs for about 1.5 minutes at idle with the fuel supply cut off), so how long for a 500+ cube with a large power setting??

Reading the reports, it certainly wasn't a fuel exhaustion issue(the rescue teams were treated for avgas immersion), but perhaps a starvation problem??

Cheers big ears

Jas