PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 10th Oct 2011, 07:07
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Article makes a cracking read, but is clearly detached from present reality.

However, on marriage we moved into quarters at Lyneham in 1995, after a year of living together. My boss (a complete ass, and still in) 'damned me with feint praise' with a statement in my F1369: 'Flt Lt WP is now married, and having moved into quarters, I look forward to WP and his wife participating fully in the life of the station'.

But it is also clear that the RAF - and its people - have moved on in the last 15-odd years. I have served in a number of joint organisations and in wider Government and different groups do it differently. I have found that the wives of senior RN officers (Cdrs and above) seem to be the ones that really try to ‘Lord’ it up – possibly because they have little experience of living on a patch, and assume that they have to be the Queen Bee c 1955. I also spent 2 ½ years working for a senior US Diplomat and he expected his staff – and their spouses – to make up numbers at dinner parties on a regular basis. Mind you, he also had a great wine cellar. In my time working with the FCO, I found few diplomats who regularly ‘paraded’ their spouses at official functions – that was largely left to the Defence Attachés/Advisors and their spouses. The FCO Apparatchiks looked on, mildly amused…

On the matter of cleaning quarters, we all have horror stories (mine was only a month ago) but there is an interesting thread running on Arrse concerning alleged impropriety between the cleaning contractors and housing officers.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/pay-claims-jpa/170407-married-quarter-cleaning-service.html