PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Between Countries
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 06:32
ExSp33db1rd

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow ! Shows how much I know now, I was going to suggest that until you actually get a licence issued in any country, then an hours' flying as a student is an hours' flying as a student-providing that it can be verified by having each CFI sign your logbook as you move from Country to Country. DO THAT ANYWAY, one never knows, and sadly if you ask 3 people you will get five answers - all different, the only way is to read the various PPL requirements, which I guess you can do on the Internet now, if you have the time and patience !

Having got a licence, then getting it converted from Country to Country has always been a nightmare, for instance even between Aus. and NZ, 'cos even tho' there is a Trans Tasman Mutual Recognition Act, the rules are different for a PPL and a CPL. I would not have been able to fly as a PPL in Aus. on a NZ PPL, but I can fly Commercially in Aus. on a NZ CPL - which I didn't need, but I was able to apply for NZ CPL on the strength of my then UK ATPL, and with a NZ CPL in my hot sticky hands, then then applied for an Aus CPL as of right, and got it. As I was living in NZ I was asked why I wanted an Aus. CPL ? I told them because I could - read your own TTMRA !

I have now been downgraded to a Class II medical, i.e. PPL only, and so my Aus. CPL has been automatically downgraded to PPL privileges only as a result, but I can still use it in Aus. as a PPL, whereas if I had only ever had the NZ PPL I couldn't !

The Law is an Ass.

A million years ago I took 300+ hours of R.C.A.F. training back to the UK, and was granted a UK PPL when I asked for one. How things have changed !

Remember, log every hour and have your total constantly verified - you never know when it might pay off.

Best of luck !