PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 and the Miracle on the Hudson
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 03:54
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, when in normal law, regardless of the pilot's input, the computers will prevent excessive maneuvers and exceedance of the safe envelope in pitch and roll axis.Taken from the flight control section of the 320 FCOM
  • Yes - Alpha Max is part of the safe envelope in pitch.
  • Yes - The computers will prevent exceedance of Alpha Max, not exceedance of (Alpha Max minus 4 degrees).

I am well aware Alpha Max is not Alpha stall. There is a margin for a reason.
That reason is to be able to comfortably reach Alpha Max and not to have to stop already 4 degrees before Alpha Max.

If it had been a Boeing the stall warning would have been blaring away too, allied to the stick shaker and again no AoA indication so no way to know how close you are to the stall and no feel due to the stick shaker.
My memories from Boeing are a bit far now so I could be wrong but except from the stick shaker I don't remember any other audio stall warning ?
Anyway IIRC a few procedures in the Boeing recommend to even go to the stick shaker if necessary. Is it because the Danger to stall is so great Ashling ?
Aslo, again IIRC, the Pitch Limit Indicator on Boeing shows the AoA margin to the stick shaker.

Question still stands Ashling :
If High AoA protection when activated prevents an aircraft to approach Alpha Max (in this case by 4 degrees), when will we ever reach Alpha Max that Airbus is so proud of ?