PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadetship 2012 & 2013
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2011, 02:46
34R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know quite a few QF cadets, over a range of ranks and I am proud to call some of them friends, and more than happy to operate with them.
You would hope that the selection process reflects the companies attitude to safety and performance, and that those with the aptitude for this sort of thing are recognised.

Most of the ire that cadets draw seems to come from the notion that they ,(or dad) bought their way into the company, whilst others had to endure third world conditions in some outback post, fighting for everything they got and worked their way to their goal. Big deal! Can we use that same logic and suggest those presently at Virgin that are there as a result of a 'blue star' or knowing the right bloke can be lumped into the same basket? And let's be honest, there are quite a few of those! Of course not.

At the end of the day, if something goes bang I really don't think years spent in the bush in a 210 are going to better equip you to handle the situation. An understanding that you don't know everything, a willingness to always want to improve, a professionalism to know your stuff and an attitude to embrace working with others, I believe, will.

My years in GA did teach me a great deal, but probably more about myself. I feel lucky for that opportunity and I'm glad I went down that path. But I'm afraid it all counts for nil if you aren't willing to do the things that are required to be an accountable pilot.