PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confession time - Who has had a prang?!
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2011, 20:19
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mmmmm, if this thread has changed to the dark and maudling side, I think as one who has just started their flying after many years dreaming of doing so, loving every minute, full of enthusiasm for one of the best sports in the world...don't think i'll read it any more!
Well, perhaps I should say 'sorry', but I'm not certain that I am. There are two ways of dealing with danger. One is to bury your head in the sand and say 'it won't happen to me'. The other is to accept that it might, and figure out what you can do to make it less likely. For some people that will involve not flying, and that's fine.

I found learning to hang-glide was a very formative experience. I learned that I could make decisions under pressure, and I loved the fact that after I'd launched I was responsible for every decision I made, all the way to the bottom. But most of all I learned to stand on the top of the hill and think about everything I had to lose, then decide to pick the glider up and run just the same.

Personally, I don't regret a minute of my hang gliding days. The reason I stopped was more to do with the amount of time it took to take to stay current. However, had I reached a stage where I was able to do long cross-country flights I think I may eventually have decided that I'd achieved everything I'd set out to.

The point about posting as a separate thread though, is a good one.