PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confession time - Who has had a prang?!
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2011, 20:16
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a new Private Pilot and had wandered by the FBO to see if they had anything free to rent. Their C-150 had just come out of maintenance and was available. Preflight and takeoff was normal and I flew to a nearby field to do some touch and go landings. Over the touchdown zone on the first landing, with full flaps and throttle closed, the wheel hit the aft stops as I was flaring for landing and the nose was still fairly well down. A quick burst of power got the nose up and I landed and full stopped to investigate.

I found that the elevator bellcrank was installed upside down so that I had much more nose down authority than I was supposed to and much less nose up authority. Knowing what the issue was, I flew the aircraft back to home base and made a no flap landing.

I credit having learned to fly in tail draggers for the power burst response that saved the first landing. I learned to make sure I had full control authority, not just movement in the proper direction on my preflights.
I have yet to prang a flying machine, and as a now old and bold pilot with almost 50 yrs experience, I might just finish with a perfect record. Of course, I might have scared myself a few times getting there.