PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2011, 13:33
sycamore

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
CC, in #251 here there is a link to `hangartalk`,air racing; if on that link you go back to page9 #88 there are 3 photos which show the `oil-canning and the tab deflection from the rear quarter.(if you haven`t seen them already).
The Mustang 4 was limited to 505 MPH or .75 M,but had probably been flown faster in testing.Also the aircraft in those times had fabric covered elevators and wooden or plastic trim tabs and one on each elevator would reduce the loading,fabric covered surfaces tend to distort aerofoil shapes at high speed; later they were made all metal,except the rudder.Since GG is a `racer` the rudder tab is also faired in.
It would be interesting to know if the stbd.tab on GG was `locked` to the elevator,or to the tailplane as a balance tab,to reduce stick forces.
With regard to the `over-bank` at pylon 8, I would consider that to be gust induced,either by the preceding two aircraft and/or natural wind,which may have caused and been sensed by JL as a possible change to his `line` around 8,and preventing a possible `cut`,requiring a quick push,and a bit of roll-out.
It is difficult to see the pylon and aircraft to draw a reference as to how close he was now running,after having passed the `Bear`,and flying a wider pattern to do so.It is a lot harder to run closer to the pylons,with a lot more activity on the controls to get a tighter line.
With regard to the roll, I think that was induced by precession from the prop on the pull-up,causing roll,as the controls have become free,and as the aircraft starts downhill,it will try to go to a trim speed,controls free again.

On another subject,I have searched for the NTSB archive for the definitive results of the investigation into the tail failure of Miss Ashley` in `99`,but only find the standard report,which give no real structural results..Anyone got anything more definitive..?

PS.GG was reported at 495 mph; that equates to M.645 at 5500ft at an assumed *T of 20*C; M.75 would be 579 mph in the same conditions.

Last edited by sycamore; 9th Oct 2011 at 20:03.