PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your husband will never be promoted if you wear trousers
Old 9th Oct 2011, 10:16
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
While I appreciate that 47AD were based at Lyneham, when she mentions inviting the wives of some "other ranks" over for a wine tasting, she refers to them as "squaddies"? Smacks of a lack of personal knowledge to me.

If living on the patch was such a trauma for her, why didn't they move into private accommodation?

They married in 1997, by which time much of the so called snobbery she refers to was a thing of the past. Maybe in the 70s and 80s, but late 90s and 00s...?

Yes, married quarter rules have always been crazy and draconian, but by the late 90s there were firms that would guarantee to clean you quarter to march out standard for a reasonable fee. I know, I used one when I left MQ at Lyneham in 2000!! Most people also used their own ovens because wives preferred them to the rubbish ones installed in the quarter.

It seems very possible to me that she has got a few war/horror stories from older wives and is regurgitating them as her own experiences in the cause of making money for herself. Of course I could be wrong.....

One question that has to be asked, why is she telling this story. Is it genuinely to inform the great British public of what life is like as an RAF wife?? What makes anyone think the public cares....