PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadetship 2012 & 2013
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2011, 05:55
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the cadet bashers crawl out from under their rocks. Again. Most of the time I try to keep my PPRuNe comments as professional as possible, but in this instance: Many of you make it quite clear that you are ignorant, misinformed (insert derogatory remark here).

As has already been said (or implied), there are no more good or bad cadets than there are good or bad GA pilots, or good & bad military pilots. For all the screening & various filters employed in the selection process, it has to be acknowledged that the occasional misfit will always slip through. I know, because in a former life I used to train QF cadets myself.

Nevertheless many of them impressed the hell out of me. For the most part they were mature, hard-working individuals with a great attitude, & very conscious of the "opportunity" they had been given. Whilst lacking in total flying experience, they still demonstrated all the necessary problem-solving & decision-making skills that left me in no doubt that many of them would go on to make excellent crew members & future pilots in command.

Whilst the specifics of the cadetship are still to be finalised, I would guess that Virgin's attitude towards the programme will be very much in line with the recent recommendations from the senate inquiry into pilot training & aviation safety. I don't think you will be seeing any graduates going straight into the front seat of a jet, E-Jet or otherwise. More than likely (as already mentioned elsewhere on this thread), they will be placed into the right-hand seat of an ATR - or the jump seat of a 777.

Rest assured, however, that whilst Virgin WILL continue to recruit from GA, regionals & the military, future pilot requirements dictate that a cadet programme will be part of the mix. Deal with it.