PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asymmetric flap failure
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2011, 19:53
leading edge!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asymmetric flap failure

Folks,

I recently listened to a UK controller at my local airfield describe how a Cessna taxied out to the thresold with one flap up and the other fully down. As we know these lessons would bite us hard and it was only an alert controller who spotted this, who averted a very big moment. The instructor who was in the aircraft missed this defect and was nearly ready for departure. I chuckled as I thought, I will learn from that and never let that happen to me!

As a result, I have been careful to ensure that my students ensure that flaps are operating symmetrically in checks on the ground.

Well, imagine my shock at the following?!?! Myself and an experienced airline captain (my student) were landing at an airfield two weeks ago in an HR100.

The base leg was flown normally though flap was deployed a little late. Flaps were within flap limiting speeds. We turned onto finals at which point full flap was deployed. At about 700' agl, 6th sense kicked in, but I detected a small 'clicking' noise coming from the left flap. I made a symmetrical check (which I always now do!) to find that there was a significant variation between left and right flap.

Our power setting was relatively low, but I was aware that my student was now beginning to apply aileron to counteract this inbalance. I immediately opted to continue approach as I raised flaps and called 'go around'.

The rest of the flight was uneventful and we flew a flapless circuit and landed. Enquiries are ongoing with the defect.

The big thing for me was learning from experience.. I cannot thank this individual from my tower enough. I am in little doubt, that during my instructors course (despite being thorough) there was mention of this type of incident apart from a downwind to base considerations....

Please let this be a lesson. I suspect that if we had applied full power, the roll rate would have been highly entertaining to say the least! With a load of airflow over those flaps, it would have made a significant problem with handling. I love aeros, but not close to the ground!

The incident has been reported, but please take note! I suspect that this could happen to various a/c types...

Leading Edge!

Last edited by leading edge!; 8th Oct 2011 at 21:01.