PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good RAF Army Banter/Jokes
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2011, 19:25
Spartacan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Danger

I have a copy of 'LAUGH WITH THE AIR FORCE' which I purchased at the Fleet Air Arm Museum . . .

Hers is a true Army story with an aeronautical bent

An Uncle of mine was CO of the 9th Bn The Parachute Regiment sometime in the 1950's. At that time the Regimental Mascot was a Chimpanzee. Some bright spark decided that, being the Parachute Regiment, the Ape has best earn his Red Beret by joining the troops on a jump.

The plan duly agreed said ape was trussed into a parachute harness and taken airborne in (I think) a Dakota. The ape was duly thrown out on a static line - followed by his keeper. The assembled audience on the landing ground watch expectantly as the parachute deployed and the ape assumed the perfect position - legs astride and arms holding the rigging whilst he scanned around. Problem solved! Down came the ape with all going very well until . . .

Said ape looked down and saw the ground rising up to meet him . . . Clearly thinking with the most basic parts of the monkey brain said ape chose the obvious way out of the situation - and climbed back up the rigging !

Last edited by Spartacan; 8th Oct 2011 at 19:36.