PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canberra Bomber
Thread: Canberra Bomber
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2011, 15:03
Jig Peter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel T4 bang-seats

Having converted onto the Canberra at Bassingbourn in 1957 and then flown them for 2 Squadron tours (with a ground tour in between) I can't remember a T4 without bang-seats, but the "little grey cells " don't seem to have as good a search function as they once did.

- For the navigators to eject, one of them (or both!) first operated a switch to set off the explosive bolts which fastened down the hatch above their MB seats, and then pulled the handle. Reflection tells me that on the T4, we usually flew with only one navigator in the left-hand seat, but whether there was another MB seat for an observer/passenger memory also fails me: my mental picture is that there was one, but see above.

- I also seem to remember that the control column yokes on the T4 were
shorter on the T4 than on the single-pilot Marks, because of the lack of shoulder room but on that point too I wouldn't be sure of winning a point in a pub quiz. The impression may have come from the slightly hunched position you adopted when in the RH seat, and a bit twisted to the left to see the single instrument panel.
Not a very positive response, I'm afraid, but it's been 2-score years and 3 since ...